We got our first big snow of the season on Thanksgiving Eve. The dogs sure were excited! When I got home from work that day we had an inch or two on the ground and I got some photos of the dogs enjoying it. We got well over a foot of snow in the end, but since then we’ve had warmer weather and rain, so we’re back to just a few inches on the ground, which is pretty packed down in the yard by now. It’s just as well, because Luke is on the DL at this time (that’s Disabled List for you non-baseball fans); more on that at the end of this post.
I had mentioned in my post-Thanksgiving post that Luke had started holding his leg up off and on when we got home from dinner that night. By Tuesday morning, he still was off and on and we couldn’t really see much of an improvement, so he went to the vet Tuesday afternoon. Our vet immediately suspected an issue with his knee, but without being able to really maneuver the leg he couldn’t know for sure. He felt it was most likely an issue with his kneecap slipping in and out, but an ACL issue was also mentioned as an outside possibility. Thursday Luke went in and got sedated so his leg could be completely examined. X-rays were a possibility as well, but he didn’t end up needing those.
I was of course a worried mess all day. Our vet does farm calls in the morning, so I didn’t know anything until mid-afternoon. The news was pretty good; there is no ACL issue. However, he has “luxating patella” in both of his knees. You can read more about that condition here, but I will also be doing research and write a full post on it soon. Simply, it means that the kneecap is dislocating or moving out of it’s normal position. That’s why it’s so off and on with Luke. He holds his leg up when it’s out, but then when it slips back in he is completely fine.
His right knee, the one he’s been holding up is in Stage 2, and his other knee Stage 1 (it can slip out when maneuvered but doesn’t do so on it’s own). The hope is that with rest his right knee will get back to normal. Surgery could be down the road, but is not required at this time, as long as it does not get worse. We will be adding a joint supplement to his diet, and they also suggested that losing a couple of pounds couldn’t hurt. We will be doing our best to keep him quiet, but it has seemed to be getting better the last couple of days. It’s still happening, but we think less frequently already.
So more on this subject soon, and if anyone has any experience with it, I would love to know!
Welcome to Day 5 of the #Advent4Dogs Giveaway hosted by Kol’s Notes, Dogthusiast, Heart Like a Dog, NEPA Pets & Wag’n’Woof Pets. Today’s give away is sponsored by Blue Laamb Designs. Enter now for your chance to win an adjustable dog lovers charm bracelet with your choice of 4 charms, a crystal and a stamped disc.
We’re happy to be joining the FitDog Friday blog hop. Thank you to our blog hop hosts SlimDoggy, To Dog With Love and MyGBGVLife. Please visit their sites and others through the links below to learn more about keeping your dogs fit and happy!