It’s that time of year again; the days are getting shorter, the clocks are turned back, and the holidays are fast approaching. Here on the farm, it also means time for yard clean-up, and getting the gardens and chicken coop ready for the winter.
There’s no shortage of things to do, but there is a shortage this year of nice, sunny days to get that outside work done! Everything is wet, and we are running behind on our projects. A coop expansion is also being planned, though we haven’t seen our contractor yet, so I’m not sure if that will get done before winter or not. That might have something to do with all the rain, and before we know it that other kind of precipitation will probably be here too!
At least on all these rainy days I’m stuck inside, I have plenty to keep me busy with trying to get my online store up and running and also getting ready for a big local crafts fair where I’m going to be bringing some of our products to sell. Somehow Luke and I have been able to time our daily walks in-between rain showers and have only missed one here and there. It is so wet everywhere, and areas that are usually only wet in the springtime are full of water.
We finally got a “kind of” sunny day on Sunday, with high clouds blocking the warmth of it and temperatures barely in the 40’s, but at least it was not raining! I was able to get most of my small clean-up done after our walk; herbs harvested for drying and for the coop (we like to put fresh herbs in the nesting boxes), and a small garden bed almost ready for planting some garlic.
Thank goodness for my garden helper: Luke starting pulling up plants all on his own! All help is appreciated; what would I do without him?
Are you and your pets and home ready for the coming winter?
We have winners for our recent giveaways! Congratulations to Bryn from A Dog Walks Into a Bar, and Crystal from Crystal & Daisy Mae’s Photo Blogging Site, on each winning a prize pack from our own Barking Dog Organic Farm! Stay tuned for our store to be opening soon!
Also, congratulations to all the winners of the Trick or Treat Giveaway Hop:
- Grand Prize – $350 Petco Gift Card – Kate Pelletier
- Second Prize – sponsored by Kong – Joseline Lovett
- Third Prize – sponsored by Wellness – Katherine Spangler
- Fourth Prize – sponsored by Petcurean – Laurie Nykaza
- Fifth Prize – sponsored by Only Natural Pet – Trisha McKee
- Sixth Prize – sponsored by DogTV – Susan Pertierra
- Seventh Prize – sponsored by Caru – Adrianna P Gonzales
- Eighth Prize – sponsored by Treatibles – Sonya Allstun
- Ninth Prize – sponsored by Noah’s Bark – Sarak Skylark
- Tenth Prize – sponsored by West Paw – Ellen Beck
- Eleventh Prize – sponsored by P.L.A.Y. – Helga Romoser