A couple of years ago when I was co-hosting a blog hop for reactive dog owners, our theme one month was what we love about our reactive dogs. I wrote 10 Things I Love About Cricket, and at that point didn’t know that Luke would end up being reactive too.
I like the idea of doing the same type of post for the rest of the crew. Sheba is our one dog that is not reactive – she has some mild fears of storms and riding; but Sheba loves everyone that she meets, human, canine, and feline, anyone and everyone.
- The fact that she loves everyone is one thing that I love about her and here are nine more:
- Her beautiful coat. It drives me insane sometimes trying to keep it looking good and free of mats. I sometimes look at her and tell her she’s a mess; but that I know she’s a tomboy and doesn’t care. But when she is freshly groomed? She couldn’t be more beautiful.
- Her stoicism. Sheba went through three surgeries in just under a year, her last being last December, but through each of them she was such a trooper. She never let on that she was in pain, and the last one especially I knew she was since she was moving so slowly. She would always recover in just a matter of days, which made keeping her quiet for the time we needed to challenging!
4. Her love of life. No matter what we’re doing, or not doing, Sheba is happy. She loves nothing better than our family being outside playing ball. But if we’re just out there hanging around she is content to just sit in the sun or shade and chew on a toy or just relax.
5. Her love of the outdoors. She often prefers to be outdoors enjoying the fresh air when she can. Just lately though she seems to want to spend more time closer to us if we’re indoors. Luckily we all love the outdoors here so we all want to be outside when we can.
6. Her tolerance of her annoying siblings. Luke chews on her head and Cricket gets mad at her if she gets accidentally stepped on. Sheba just puts up with both of them quietly.
7. She plays hard though! Her ferocious nature comes out when playing with toys or playing with her brother. She’s so mild mannered most of the time that we can’t help but laugh when she gets wound up! She would never hurt anyone on purpose, but we do remind her to tone it down at times so no one gets accidentally hurt!
8. Her patience – which she sometimes loses. She is patient most of the time, but when Cricket is screwing around during a game of fetch, not returning the ball to me, Sheba will bark at her to tell her to hurry it up! She’ll also bark at Luke when he’s hogging the ball!
9. Her golden smile.
10. Her love. Sheba doesn’t seek out affection a lot. But when she sees you coming towards her, her tail starts wagging and thumping on the floor. You know she’s looking forward to that special attention, and though she’s stingier with her kisses than her siblings, when she gives you some that makes them even more special.
Do you see the common theme here? There is nothing like the love of our beautiful golden retriever. She is a very special girl who is just all about love; whether she’s giving or receiving it. ♥