I have written the “10 Things I Love” about each of the dogs, and I did not forget our lone feline crew member Samantha. It’s been on my list to write, with an outline already started, and I was reminded of it when I planned her post for National Black Cat Day yesterday. She’s been on my mind a lot this week for other reasons too.
10 Things I Love About Sam:
- Her purring – of course. Who doesn’t love the sound of a cat purring? Sam’s is just the right volume, not too loud, not too soft – though it varies from time to time. As soon as you walk into a room where she is, she starts purring.
- Speaking of volume – her meow. Sam doesn’t have a loud yowling voice; she has a low volume scratchy meow. I call it her “Kate Jackson” meow. I probably just dated myself again, right?
- Her super soft fur. Even when I’m lax about brushing her, Sam’s coat is always soft. Her coat is more smoky than silky, in both texture and color.
- Her independence. Sam has always been kind of a loner, even when we had other cats in the house. I prefer to think of her as “independent”. She doesn’t do anything she doesn’t want to. If I want her to play with a toy or pose for a photo? Uh-uh, she won’t even look at the camera!
- She can be silly sometimes. One of her favorite things to do is lick my feet when I’m in the bathroom (she’s a real licker by nature and probably would have made a great Mom).
- She also has a way of reaching her paw out when she wants attention. It’s so cute!
- Speaking of cute, she’s not only cute but she’s beautiful. I love her big yellow eyes.
- Her endless patience and adaptability. Sam has put up with a lot since we moved. It was a stressful time for all of us, but poor Sam had to spend time in a crate as well as being kept in very small rooms for a time. She seemed to take it all in stride. You might have thought her previous litter box issues were from that stress, but she had those issues at our old house too. We are past all of that, at least for now, thank goodness.
- Her tolerance of the dogs. Sam has never been a huge fan of the dogs, but I think our late beagle Kobi was always her favorite, probably because he was so calm and laid back. I have the most photos of her sitting with him, and I’m not sure I have any with the other dogs. When Luke is at the gate to her room barking at her, she just ignores him (I’m the one upset about it, not her).
- Sam’s a fighter. She’s had some serious health issues, including her hyperthyroidism, and they once thought, well over a year ago, that she might have some type of intestinal cancer. She overcame all that. Unfortunately, right now we’re worried about her. We think she’s losing her eyesight. We’ll be taking her to the vet tomorrow morning to find out what’s going on. We hope and pray her strength can get her (and us) through this challenge as well. All positive thoughts, prayers, and purrs are much appreciated.
If you missed our other “10 Things I Love” posts, here they are:
What do you love about your pet(s) – besides just about everything?