Thank you to everyone who took our quiz! There was actually a tie for the most correct answers, congratulations to Forest Poodles and Lorna, who both got 12 right! I was impressed with how well many of you know your flowers. I had to do a random draw to declare the winner, and Forest Poodles got selected and won the grand prize of our fun garden flag and treats for her dogs. We decided to send Lorna a prize too since she also did so well! The winners have been contacted and their prizes will be on the way soon.
Now to the answers!
- Daylilies – Non-toxic. However, bear in mind Daylilies ARE TOXIC TO CATS. The interesting thing I discovered about this flower is that they are not “true lilies”. I was relieved to know these were safe for the dogs, since there are so many around, and inside the dog yard too.
- Clematis – Toxic. These flowers grow on a vine and are just gorgeous when they are all in bloom. Luckily for us, this plant is next to our front porch, which is not an area the dogs would be in off leash or unsupervised.
- Alyssum – Non-toxic. You may have noticed that these flowers that I planted in a pot are inside the dog yard. They are very fragrant and I want to thank our friend Ann at Pawsitively Pets for bringing them to my attention. Ann wrote a great post “What to Plant for a Dog Friendly Garden” I wanted to add some flowers in the dog area that the dogs wouldn’t trample, so I was looking for them when I went to the garden center.
- Chives – Toxic. Chives are in the onion family, and onions are also toxic to dogs. That plant there was inside the dog area but luckily was easy to move to behind the fence.
- Carolina Anemone – Toxic. This was one flower that really gave me a challenge to identify! I used my iPhone app to finally narrow it down and then the internet to finally track down that anemones are toxic to dogs. The ASPCA’s list is helpful, but they are up front about the fact that not all plants are on their list. I’m sure it’s hard to know every plant that is toxic, if no vet has ever seen a pet that they know got sick from it! I finally found it on Midtown Animal Clinic’s website. They have a good list that also tells the level of toxicity. These flowers are not highly toxic – they can lead to upset stomach and rashes, they are not deadly, but I still wanted them away from the dogs so we fenced them off. I have to watch them though….once in a while a new one will pop up in the dog area! They apparently spread quite well so I’ll always have to keep an eye on them.
- Hosta lily – Toxic. I had a lot of these at our old house, and there are a lot here too. I’ve always liked them because they are easy and will grown anywhere. Some here are in the fenced off area, some on other sides of the house; but I did have to dig some out of the dogs’ small overnight area. I knew from experience that it was going to be difficult, these plants have very strong roots and it was hard work! At the same time I also had to dig up lilies-of-the-valley which are also toxic, and just as hard to dig up.
- Lupine – Toxic. You could see in the original photo that this plant is in the barn foundation garden, as I call it, and away from the dogs. They are a very common flower that grows wild in many areas of our state, but I’ve never had any before now.
- Snapdragons – Non-toxic. Even though the photo might have fooled you because these are inside the small fenced garden, they are safe for dogs. They’ve always been one of my favorite flowers and I wanted some to fill in the dead area that was left when we removed the hydrangea bush.
- Geraniums – Non-toxic*. Thank goodness! I love these pretty flowers and there are a lot of them right by the patio! Not only are they beautiful, but they seem to hold up well to the dogs tromping across them and lying on them, as you saw in some previous photos. *IMPORTANT NOTE – These are “true geraniums” otherwise known as cranesbills. The flowers that we think of as geraniums – annuals that are seen in planters everywhere, are actually called “Pelargonium” and those ARE toxic to dogs. I always called those flowers “cemetery flowers” because when I was a child my mother always brought those to put on the graves when we visited the cemetery!
- Spiderwort – Non-toxic. No one could identify this flower, but I guess my photo wasn’t the greatest either. Even though this photo shows them in the barn foundation garden, there are some in the dogs’ area too. I had these at our old house and recognized the foliage right off, so was able to look these up early on to know they were safe.
We hope you enjoyed this quiz and that this information might help you with your own garden plans. Here are links to the first two parts in our series, if you missed them:
In subsequent posts I plan to share more toxic and non-toxic plants, more about levels of toxicity, herbs (Part 4), vegetables, and other aspects of gardening and how to keep it safe for your dogs.